Thursday, July 26, 2018

The Saga of Remeron/mirtazapine

I mentioned in my last post that, despite my distrust, I tried prescriptions, plural. But, I spent the whole post whining about Prozac. The other one I tried was remeron. Let's talk about that.

About ten months after my experience with Prozac, I was referred to a mental health clinic. I was well into my second year being unemployed so I had to go on the first available Sunday and their community clinic. In other words, I showed up for the first come, first serve, free service. You just try to find more depressing circumstances!

Anyway, the psycho-whatever guy took in my story. I know, sounds irresponsible to not remember for sure what his title/position was, but at this point in my life I was emotionally and physically exhausted. Also, I liked and trusted the doctor who referred me to him. We’ll talk more about her later.

I was so in the depths of it at this time that walking to the end of the block was a major accomplishment. Driving the fifteen miles or whatever to this guy’s office was nothing less than herculean.

So, I told him about my struggle with depression. In those ten months it had become so much worse. After Prozac, the episodes of heavy limbs, crying helplessly and days of endless sleep continued to come and go. I’d have a good week then two days of useless paralysis.

I put it to him plainly. I was ready to try another prescription. I had two conditions: 1) Don’t say the P word and 2) I wanted the meds that had the lowest incidences of sexual dysfunction associated with them.

Sidebar: Sex is incredibly important to my new wife and me. We met some months after my divorce and her separation on one of those hook-up apps. It was literally meant to be a one-night - well, one-morning - stand. Turns out, we’re still standing.

So, back to it. He, the psych-whatever guy, totally understood. He listened to my whining and worries and suggested Remeron (mirtazapine). Said it had one of the lowest incidences of sexual problems and was good at smoothing out one’s depression/emotional issues.

In an FAQ on the Mayo Clinic's website they list mirtazapine as one of the antidepressants with the lowest incidence of sexual problems. However, they don't go so far as to say that there are no sexual problems associated with it. A study published by the National Institute of Health in December, 2005 reported that patients suffering from sexual issues while on other antidepressants saw improvement when they tried mirtrazapine

We filled the prescription and, after staring at the bottle for about a week, I finally started in with the recommended dosages. I stuck to it for two weeks before my wife asked why we weren’t having sex anymore. I hadn’t even noticed but we’d gone from twice a day and ten on the weekend to maybe once a week. MotherFuck! (Well, actually, quite the opposite.) I hadn’t even noticed.

The standard information/disclosure information about mirtazapine says nothing about the possibility of sexual side effects. Whether it was real or some kind of messed up placebo thing, I'm obviously in the minority or their studies sucked. 

We tried paring it down. Half a day, then half every other day; no joy. Having no libido and disappointing my partner is no solution to depression. At least in my world it’s not.

So, I’ve let mirtazapine go, too.

No comments: